Wednesday, 5 November 2025

'My First Visit To Ipoh' .. An Interview With Peter Latham .

Peter Latham (left) in 1970 ( right) 2025

I met with Peter Latham  in early of 2025. He was in Ayer Tawar, Sitiawan for a month living at the home of his second wife.

Peter Latham is the former husband of Yeoh Saw Kin, the father of Tom and Ian Latham. Peter and Saw Kin were both barristers in England and that’s how they met. Ian had alerted me of his visit and proposed that I interview him. It was a very fruitful interview.

It was in 1970 when Peter first came out to Ipoh from England. He flew to Singapore via Rome and Karachi. Saw Kin had returned earlier but he stayed back due to work.

Yeoh Ghim Cheow family: (seated Lto R) Yeoh Saw Kin with Tom, Chew Gaik Tiew, Lim Siew Tong, Chew Ghim Cheow, Chin Kwee Peng with Lam Tat. (standing)   Yeoh Kean Cheng, P'ng Sin Aun, Peter Latham and Yeoh Kean Seong. (front row) Yeoh Lam Swee, Yeoh Lam Kheng, Yeoh Lam Ewe, Yeoh Lam Eong, Yeoh Lam Guan.

At Singapore he met Saw Kin’s cousin, Yeoh Kian Hian who had just started the first ENT specialist clinic in Singapore. “He took me to meet his uncle Yeoh Ghim Seng the Speaker of the Singapore Parliament at his house. I met his wife Winnie Khong.  She was a charming lady.  We had dinner and I made small talk with Ghim Seng. When I told him I was learning Cantonese,  Seng said only the prostitutes spoke Cantonese in Singapore”.

From Singapore I took a taxi to Ipoh. The driver drove very fast overtaking on blind corners. I was terrified and got the taxi to stop and got out to vomit.

I met grandmother Lim Siew Tong. She lived in the enormous house in Jalan Bendahara. There was big hall for entertaining and dining chairs but she used one small part of it with a little table. She was 70 then and lived a very frugal life with 2 or 3 servants. I found her fascinating because she was from a middleclass family from Xiamen and had the bound feet. I didn’t communicate with her. Yeoh Ghim Cheow was a very respectful son and used to visit every day.

2 Jalan Bendahara in 1970. Lim Siew Tong in the dining room ....

.......  lived in the enormous house with 3 servants

Yeoh  Ghim Cheow had shifted out of 2 Jalan Bendahara to a new archietect designed House in Chateau Gardens. We stayed there though we spent time in Yeoh Kean Cheng’s house in Thompson Road.

Ghim Cheow told me during the Japanese occupation he was very proud of his whiskey which he learnt how to make by reading Encyclopedia Brittanica. It was high quality whiskey and was very popular with the Japanese officers. The Scotch whiskey was slightly contaminated with copper from the stills it was made in. He lined it with tin so the whiskey would be pure. He was very proud of that fact.

An interesting thing about Yeoh Ghim Cheow was the breadth of his business interest. There was Kinta Rubber Works, property interest but also the  Botly Securties a stock brokerage. Ghim Cheow called it “his high class casino” as he used to joke about it saying that the clients of Botly were middle class people in Ipoh and loved spending their time at Botly.

Overall YGC was a very clever man. I respected his abilities, integrity and the breath of his interest and knowledge. But like so many clever people he had no small talk at all as he didn’t talk trivial things. But during the war he supported the family though Saw Kin does not know much about that period.  

I mentioned to him that Yeoh Saw Kin mentioned her grandfather, Yeoh Khuan Joo said that he didn’t have much luck in business unless he collaborated Chew Choon Siew his partner in business. Peter disagreed saying it was not true. “I was told that the success of the Kinta Rubber Works was, and this maybe 2nd hand news, the “latrine buckets” which were originally galvanised steel bucket was noisy and rusted. It was an Englishmen who got the idea to manufacture it with rubber. Ghim Cheow had recently bought over KRW and subsequently manufactured the buckets using rubber. The other local authorities  followed suit and buckets was a big success and he made a fortune. The small business don’t matter as one good idea can make the fortune. Yeoh Ghim Cheow wasn’t lucky, he was hard working.

Regarding the house of Chew Choon Siew Peter said it had a lot of antiques. He found it had the name of Florence written in the mosaic at the bottom of the pool. Choon Siew also had a bungalow at Batu Ferringi which was lovely.

Chew Choon Siew's Ipoh house. Nb Florence' name at the bottom of the pool and marble statues from Chew Boon Juan's world tour in the early 1920's

Peter with Chew Choon Siew at Batu Ferringi, Penang

He recalled the extended Chew family had 2 very nice holiday homes. One was at Penang was called Lausanne on Penang Hill. We would take the train halfway up the hill and walk along the parallel path to the bungalow. It had a view of George Town and was very enchanting. The caretaker grew flowers for the market below. The other home was at Cameron Highlands. I can’t remember the name. We stayed there and it was looked after by the chef of the hotel nearby.  

Peter at Lausanne, the holiday home on Penang Hill

Peter was in Ipoh in 2024 for Lam Swee’s mother’s funeral. He met Agnes after many years. He recalled meeting with Monica their mum with Angeline and Agnes while introducing us to making Popiah. This was at Ignatius fathers’ 1st house in Thomson Road.

Peter cathches up with Agnes Chew and the family 2024

Peter and trivia: The late Yeoh Kean Cheng had an impressive musical ability. Any music or song he’d heard on the radio he could play straight away on the piano. 

Cultural differences with bathing …

1. In Ipoh there was a porcelain tub of water in the bathroom. I would stand inside the tub, cramped and scrub myself.

2. In England when Yeoh Lam Kheng s/o Yeoh Kean Cheang stayed with us he was baffled by the European style of bathroom. He ran a bath but stood outside and scooped the water and soaked the bathroom floor. It was hilarious. We were both baffled the first time with the different cultural bathing styles.

I am astonished with Malaysia today. When I came in 1970 they were riding bicycles and Indian men were riding bullock carts. Now its all different.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment