Monday, 24 February 2025

The Inaugural 'Sei Chee Tong' Lunch By The Singapore Descendants Of Yeoh Khuan Joo

The 1st 'Sei Chee Tong' gathering of the Singapre Yeoh's 

The first ‘Sei Chee Tong’ lunch was a grand memory but more importantly it was significant because it was the first time the Yeoh family in Singapore held a gathering together. It was the brainchild of Yeoh Kian Hian who said there was no specific purpose or occasion, other than an idea that sprung up in his head. 

The Yeohs in Singapore come from Yeoh Ghim Khoon and Yeoh Ghim Seng lines. Both are  descendants of Yeoh Khuan Joo and Lim Siew Tong.

Yeoh Kian Hian's opening adress about  'Sei Chee Tong' - 2 Jalan Bendahara, the mansion built by Yeoh Khuan Joo. It had 14 rooms and wide grounds.

The residents. Seated: Lim Siew Tong, Yeoh Saw Kin, Yeoh Khuan Joo. Standing l/r: Yeoh Kean Hong, Yeoh Kean Seong, Chew Gaik Tiew, Yeoh Kean Cheng, Yeoh Kean Seng, Yeoh Kean Hin, Oh Lai Khoon, Yeoh Kian Hian, Yeoh Kian Teik, Yeoh Saw Chin Patricia, Yeoh  Saw Bee Monica.    


(L/r) Paul assisted Kian Hian (the idea for the luncheon) Lam Hock (assisted Paul to broadcast the lunch). Presenters: Joshua, Justin Pang Tian and Lam  Keong

The eldest Yeoh was Yeoh Kian Hian and the youngest Joshua Yeoh

As I am the oldest surviving male on Ghim Khoon’s side I thought I should bring the two sides together through a lunch gathering and thereafter I will leave it to them to see how would want to proceed going forward.  

The event had a good turnout where 42 members of the family turned up. The youngest male Yeoh was Joshua s/o Justin Yeoh Pang Shen while Kian Hian was the oldest being born in 1936.

...42 family members attended ..... 







(left photo: Janice w/o Yeoh Kian Hian, Kian Hian, Paul, Yeoh Chee Koon, Datin Yeoh

In my opening address I explained to the group that all of us descended from Mr. and Mrs. Yeoh Khuan Joo, showing a photo of the couple and the place where our history began which was at Sei Chee Tong or 2 Jalan Bendahara.  Additionally I gave a brief account of the mansion built by Yeoh Khuan Joo  with its 14 rooms each housing a family and the grounds of the mansion.

I was gratified and pleasantly surprised that everyone responded positively. I was flooded with thank you's from both sides.

 I did not communicate with anyone else except my son Paul. He supported the idea and got Lam Hock on board to broadcast it and Janice my wife who arranged the menu.

The idea has been hatched. Will it take on a life of its own. Only time will tell.


JAG


No comments:

Post a Comment